IWU-U SCHOOL OF RAFTING KNOWLEDGE
We now offer series of classes for novice and intermediate boaters, designed to equip you with the fundamental skills and knowledge prerequisite to safe river running. This is not a guide school, but we’ll definitely enhance the quality of your time on the water by taking the mystery out of what others make seem so easy. Instructors for this course average well over 20 years of boating experience.
• Designed for the novice boater, this course will get you off the mouse, out of the house, and on the way to the river.
• When we’re through with you, you’ll have the data base and skill sets essential for the navigation of class II and easy class III rivers.
• Intended for the person who has been with a buddy a number of times and wants to polish his skill sets enough to get into the sport on his own.
• Or the person who has already invested in his own gear and wants to take some of the mystery out of what others seem to make so easy.
• In either case, we offer the more refined tips and techniques that lead to a higher fun factor and greater fulfillment from your time on the water.
• At the conclusion of this series, you should be confident in solid class III water, and pushing into Class IV sections.
• Boat Selection: Pro’s and Con’s of varied water craft, their anatomy and sources.
• Rigging Your Boat: What goes where & how to keep it there.
• River Safety/Rescue/Communication: Fundamentals of these essential topics, including SELF-Rescue.
• River Features/Obstacles: Recognition/Identification of the myriad of obstacles in your path and how to avoid them and what to do once you’ve
neglected to do so.
• Reading the Water: Where to go and how to let the river do the work for you!
OVERNIGHT TRIPS & MEALS
• On the final weekend, both classes will join together for an overnight trip on the Payette!
Once you’ve figured out how to fit the entire camp in your boat, we’ll talk about how to manage what has just become a really heavy load!
• There will also be a lot of emphasis on audience participation, including Dutch Oven Cooking and Campfire Lies (Conceptualization and delivery!).
Private tutorials available. (The crash course!) For more information and to reserve your space, fill out our form or give us a call at (208) 462-1900 or
toll free at (800) 800-RAFT.